Monday, August 18, 2008

GREEN DOT KENTUCKY BLOG

GREEN DOT KENTUCKY is about individual choices culminating in a broad cultural change that will result in a reduction of violence throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Part of building momentum and a sense of common purpose is getting to see the GREEN DOTS that are being done across the state. Take a moment to send us your green dot that we can post on this blog Whether it is as simple as a conversation with a colleague or family member – or as extensive as a new organization wide policy change – let your green dot inspire others! (some cool, simple way to enter a green dot anecdote – either in writing or in video – to Dorothy Edwards: dedwa3@NOSPAM.email.uky.edu.

Name City Place of business/school

Individual or Organizational Green Dot

Describe your Green Dot

Informational Websites

The stakes are so high and the consequences so dire that we must ensure prevention efforts are informed by the latest research across disciplines.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea!

Unknown said...

Journal of Loss and Trauma has a bunch of info on the impact of abuse and children, late summer or early fall edition. I am wondering if anybody has access to this Journal. I'd love to read all the articles. One article references KY.

Anonymous said...

I did a green dot when my neighbor was yelling at his girlfriend. I hopped up on my fence and asked, "Is everything okay here?" Well, he told me what I could do with my self, and then stomped down the alley away from his girlfriend.

Unknown said...

How empowering! Doing the "green dot" thing packs a lot of punch. So simple, yet so powerful.

Unknown said...

I'm glad youth across KY are being exposed to the Green Dot message. I wish I had been.

Anonymous said...

I do a green dot every time I call the cops on my downstairs neighbor yelling at his girlfriend. Which is unfortunately at least four times a month.

Sheila C-T said...

This summer, my friend who is a beer vendor at Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO, while carrying his product through a hallway, came upon an altercation between a man & woman. He told the man: "Hey, we don't treat people that way around here!" The man started to apologize to my friend who told him - "I don't need the apology, she does." I am so proud of my friend.

Also, this October 7, 2010 I am participating in a VIGIL & WALK for Women's Safety in St. Louis, MO.

Why don't you have more posts these last 3 years? I may find out when I start filling out the items I see below here.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Unknown said...

Sheila,

I agree. Just where are the posts? This blog is a great venue for learning from and being encouraged by others acts of valour in the face of abuse.

I just began my own blog.

kentuckystrong.us

Check it out. I will eventually be integrating what neuroscience has taught us about brain development and the how the capacity for compassion and empathy which is shaped in the first years of human life will impact every aspect of Kentucky's future.

Vanessa